COVID-19 info: Our ranges are open during Covid-19 restrictions. To comply with social distancing requirements, we are forced to utilize only 50% of our capacity. We are allowing reservations on only every other lane until such time restrictions are lifted. Groups that are one household can use adjoining lanes under certain conditions.
1. How do I make a lane reservation for the range?
Range Members get complimentary lane reservations. Non-members must pay to reserve. Rates are $5 per person per hour. Lane reservations can be made from this website: https://range.discountgunmart.com/
2. What is the minimum age to shoot on the range?
Because children mature at different rates, we do not have a minimum age to use the range. Some children are ready at 8 years of age (or less) to shoot; others are not ready at 17. Since all minors must be accompanied by a parent or adult legal guardian, and the parent / legal guardian is the responsible party, the parent / legal guardian must make the determination as to the suitability of their child shooting on the range. Remember, the adult is responsible for the child's behavior at all times.
Additionally, Federal and State law require a person to be 21 to buy or rent a handgun or handgun ammunition. To enter the range with your own firearms and ammunition, you must be 18 years of age.
3. What is the shooting distance of your range?
San Diego Range (Morena Blvd)
- Pistol & Shotgun Range - 52 feet (see ammo restrictions below)
- Rifle / Pistol / Shotgun Range - 75 feet (see ammo restrictions below).
Santee Range (Magnolia Ave.)
- Rifle / Pistol / Shotgun Range – 50 feet (see ammo restrictions below).
4. What types of firearms are permitted on the range?
At the San Diego range on Morena Blvd: We are equipped to handle all standard and magnum pistol calibers and shotguns in our Pistol & Shotgun Range (lanes #1 - #8) and on the Rifle Range (lanes #9 - #18), high powered rifles up to 30-06 caliber. Shotguns are allowed on both ranges (no slugs or steel shot allowed).
At the Santee range on Magnolia Ave: We are equipped to handle all standard and magnum pistol calibers and pistol caliber rifles, such as .44 magnum carbine. High-powered rifles and shotguns are permitted on all lanes.
5. What ammo is permitted on the range?
In your own firearm, you may use any permitted ammo type (see below). In our rental firearms, you MUST use our ammo.
No steel case ammo such as Wolf is allowed except in cartridges originally designed to use such steel cases and have a heavy taper to facilitate proper extraction and prevent malfunctions. Steel cases are not allowed in: .380ACP, 9MM, .40S&W, .45ACP, .223REM, .308WIN. Examples of calibers where steel cases are allowed: 9x18Makarov, 7.62×39 (on rifle range only), 7.62x54R (on rifle range only). We have found that most pistol calibers, .45ACP, 9MM, etc., have a much higher failure to cycle rate using steel case ammo than any brass case ammo. When a firearm fails to cycle "or jams" as described, it sometimes requires gunsmith intervention to clear. Additionally, less experienced shooters have a higher chance to have a safety mishap with a malfunctioning firearm while trying to clear it. After clearing many malfunctions involving steel case ammo, we deemed it was necessary to prohibit its use on our range except in the allowed calibers listed above.
Steel core & armor piercing projectiles are not allowed at any time - these can damage range equipment and walls. If it sticks to a magnet, it cannot be shot on our range. This includes any kind of armor piercing, steel core, tungsten core, depleted uranium, ceramic or any hardened penetrator core of any type. This ammunition will damage our range equipment.
Standard center-fire rifle calibers are allowed on all lanes where high-powered rifles are allowed. No belted magnums allowed.
No tracer or any type of incendiary ammo allowed at any time - these are a severe fire hazard and additionally are illegal in California.
No steel shot or slug rounds are allowed at any time. Buckshot through #6 shot is allowed. Shot size #7 and smaller is not permitted.
6. I am an alien. Can I rent a gun and/or buy ammunition?
Immigrant Aliens & Aliens from Visa Wavier Countries
Immigrant aliens (with “green” cards) may possess, purchase, & rent firearms & purchase ammunition. In addition, if an alien is visiting from a country that does not require a visa to be admitted to the US, (see the US State Dept. list here) may also purchase and possess firearms & ammo. However, they still must satisfy all other requirements for purchase. The buyer’s “A” number must be provided on 4473 and DROS; a photocopy of their INS issued Alien registration card or Admission number (form I94W) must be provided.
Non-immigrant Visa Aliens
Non-immigrant aliens admitted to the US with a visa in certain cases may also purchase, rent or possess firearms or ammunition. Non-immigrant aliens with a visa must satisfy these special requirements:
- Must provide the visa showing the admission number.
- In addition, aliens admitted under a non-immigrant visa must meet one of these exemptions and provide supporting documentation:
If the alien:
- is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued by the Federal Government, a State, or local government, or an Indian tribe federally recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which is valid and unexpired; (This is the most commonly used exception)
- was admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes;
- has received a waiver from the prohibition from the Attorney General of the United States;
- is an official representative of a foreign government who is accredited to the United States Government or the Governments mission to an international organization having its headquarters in the United States;
- is en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited;
- is an official of a foreign government or a distinguished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or
- is a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.